Are Elephant Ears Poisonous? Can You Consume Them?

We use affiliate links to run our site. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, without any added cost to you. Learn more

Elephant ears are a popular ornamental plant with their large, lush green leaves adding a tropical vibe to any garden or indoor space. However, there has been some confusion and debate over whether or not these plants are poisonous to humans and animals.

As elephant ears continue to grow in popularity, it’s important to understand the potential risks associated with this beautiful plant.

In this article, we will dive deep into the question of whether or not elephant ears are poisonous. We’ll explore the different parts of the plant that can be toxic, what symptoms could occur if ingested, and how to safely handle and care for your elephant ear plants.

What are Elephant Ears?

Elephant Ears, are a group of tropical plants native to Southeast Asia and Polynesia. They are characterized by their large, heart-shaped leaves that resemble the ears of an elephant, hence the name.

How toxic are elephant ears?

Elephant ears (plants from the Alocasia and Colocasia genera) are considered to be moderately toxic. The entire plant, including the leaves, stems, and roots, contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause discomfort and health issues if ingested.

The crystals can irritate the mouth, throat, and digestive tract, leading to symptoms such as burning and swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat.

Ingestion of large quantities may result in more severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing, choking, and gastrointestinal distress.

When ingested or in contact with the skin, these crystals can cause adverse reactions in some individuals.

Ingestion: Burning and Swelling

Consuming parts of the Elephant Ear plant can lead to burning and swelling of the mouth, throat, and digestive tract. This is primarily due to the irritating effects of calcium oxalate crystals.

Symptoms may include a stinging sensation, difficulty swallowing, and swelling of the tongue or lips. It’s important to note that the severity of the reaction can vary from person to person.

Skin Contact: Contact Dermatitis

For individuals with sensitive skin, direct contact with Elephant Ear plants can trigger contact dermatitis. This allergic reaction is characterized by redness, itching, and the formation of blisters or rashes on the affected skin.

It’s advisable to handle these plants with caution, especially if you have a history of skin allergies or sensitivities.

The Varied Reactions to Plant Toxicity

It’s important to acknowledge that not everyone reacts to plants in the same way. Just like certain individuals may be more susceptible to certain foods or environmental allergens, the same applies to plant toxicity.

While some individuals may have severe reactions to Elephant Ear plants, others may not experience any adverse effects at all.

How long does elephant ear poisoning last?

The duration of elephant ear poisoning symptoms can vary depending on the severity of exposure or ingestion and the individual’s reaction. Mild cases of contact or ingestion may cause temporary discomfort that subsides within a few hours to a day.

However, more severe cases with significant exposure or ingestion may lead to prolonged symptoms that can persist for several days.

It is crucial to seek medical advice if you experience persistent or worsening symptoms after contact with or ingestion of elephant ear plants.

Precautions and Safety Measures

To enjoy the beauty of Elephant Ear plants while minimizing the risks, it’s crucial to take some precautions. Here are a few safety measures you can follow:

1. Awareness and Education

Being informed about the potential hazards of Elephant Ears is the first step towards safety. By understanding the risks associated with these plants, you can make informed decisions about handling, cultivating, or consuming them.

2. Avoid Ingestion

To prevent the risk of burning and swelling in the mouth and throat, it’s recommended to avoid eating Elephant Ear plants. While some cultures have traditional culinary uses for certain varieties of these plants, it’s essential to ensure that the toxins are adequately removed through proper cooking methods.

3. Protective Clothing and Gear

When working with Elephant Ear plants, especially during pruning or gardening activities, it’s advisable to wear protective clothing, including gloves, long sleeves, and pants. This will reduce the chances of direct skin contact and minimize the risk of developing contact dermatitis.

4. Proper Plant Placement

If you have Elephant Ear plants in your garden or indoor space, consider their placement carefully. Keep them out of the reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion. Placing warning signs or barriers can also serve as a visual reminder of the potential risks associated with these plants.

5. Good Hygiene Practices

After handling Elephant Ear plants, ensure you wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. This will help remove any potential residue or sap from the plant, reducing the risk of accidental ingestion or skin contact.

Can you eat elephant ears?

Yes, some types of elephant ears are edible. Certain species of elephant ears, such as Colocasia and Xanthosoma, have edible parts. The corms, tubers, and roots of these plants can be consumed, but they must be thoroughly cooked and drained before eating to remove the acrid and poisonous calcium oxalate crystals.

Colocasia esculenta, also known as taro, is one of the most commonly eaten varieties of elephant ear. Its starchy central corms and swollen lateral tubers are used in traditional Asian cuisine. Other species within the Colocasia genus are also edible.

In the case of Alocasia, most cultivars and varieties are not suitable for human consumption due to their high levels of oxalic acid content. However, there are a few edible varieties, such as Alocasia macrorrhiza (Giant Taro), whose starchy stems and roots can be eaten after proper preparation and cooking.

Similarly, certain Xanthosoma varieties, including Xanthosoma caracu and Xanthosoma sagittifolium (arrowleaf elephant ear), have edible corms and foliage. The corms are starchy and can be used as a staple food in tropical regions.

It’s important to note that all parts of raw elephant ears are toxic and should not be consumed without proper cooking. Raw elephant ears contain poisonous and highly irritating alkaloids such as oxalic acid or calcium oxalate crystals. Cooking and preparation methods, such as boiling or pounding, are necessary to break down these toxic substances and make the plant parts safe to eat.

If you are considering consuming elephant ears, it is advisable to research specific varieties and follow proper cooking methods to ensure safety.


While Elephant Ears are undeniably captivating plants with their striking appearance, they are not without risks. Some elephant ears are poisonous and can cause serious health problems if ingested or touched.

Therefore, it is important to know which ones are safe and which ones are not, and how to avoid any accidents.

If you enjoyed this blog post, please share it with your friends and family. You can also explore more articles on this site about gardening, plants, and wildlife.

Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs):

Are elephant ears poisonous to touch?

Yes, elephant ears can be poisonous to touch. The stems and leaves of elephant ear plants contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause skin irritation and potentially a rash and itching if touched. It is advisable to handle these plants with caution and avoid direct contact with the skin to prevent any adverse reactions.

Are elephant ears poisonous to animals?

Yes, elephant ears are poisonous to animals, including dogs, cats, and livestock. The calcium oxalate crystals present in the plant can cause similar symptoms in animals as they do in humans.
 Ingesting elephant ear leaves, stems, or roots can lead to oral irritation, drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, and abdominal pain.
In severe cases, it can cause respiratory distress, heart irregularities, and even death. It is essential to keep these plants out of reach of pets and livestock to prevent accidental ingestion.

Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of, Inc, or its affiliates.

prasenjit saha author Gardening ABC

Hi there! My name is Prasenjit and I’m an avid gardener and someone who has grown a passion for growing plants. From my hands-on experience, I have learned what works and what doesn’t. Here I share everything I have learned.